Having academically gifted child is definitely an exciting and challenging moment at the same time for parents. However, how can you tell if your child is gifted or not. In this article, we are going to discuss the giftedness signs in school age child. By using the following signs, you can prepare on how to raise your gifted child. Aside from that, we also need to discuss whether testing for giftedness is necessary.
Giftedness Signs of Child on School Age
- During the age of 5 to 8 years old, child is taught about basic mathematical and linguistic concept. If the child is able to comprehend even the advance level, then it is good giftedness signs in school age child. The same child is usually also able to talk about complicated matters such as religion, ethnic, morality, and many more. The child uses difficult vocabularies that do not mastered by other child on the same age to express his or her opinions about the matter.
- The other giftedness signs in school age child are having higher-level talents and ability to concentrate on the particular activity. For instance, the child is able to calculate mathematical problem that has never been taught in the school before. When doing a particular activity, the gifted child tends to have a good focus as well. The child cannot be distracted by anything else easier.
- The nature of gifted child is a leader. Aside from being able to lead the group, the gifted child also has the ability to manage the group as well. Gifted child will be the one who initiate activities and ask his or her friend to do the activity together.
- Child with giftedness signs usually feeling confident when being faced with challenges. The child is able to get good performance, including in the academic aspect. The speed of their learning process allows them to excel other children on the same age. Therefore, the child tends to get along with older people with the same thinking level.
- The giftedness signs can also be observed from the empathy towards the feeling of other people. Gifted child also has a good humor sense and appreciate intellectual people.
Testing for Giftedness Child
If the giftedness signs in school age child are spotted, it is advisable to perform series of testing. The main goal of this testing is to figure out whether the child is gifted or not. Aside from detection function, testing will produce a result. This result can be used to give privilege to the gifted child.
The testing can be performed by the school. Teachers and staffs are usually the people who help to perform the test. In most cases, the school is reluctant to give the test. When it happens, make sure you contact child doctor to make a recommendation. This recommendation should mention about the giftedness signs in school age child on your child.
A common instrument to perform the testing is the IQ test. Unfortunately, this test is not suitable for child under 3 years old. During this age, the result is not reliable. Child at older age tends to have reliable result from the test. That being said, the score from IQ test is not the only factor determining the standard for gifted child. Score that once is considered good sign for gifted child might no longer compatible to tell whether a child is gifted these days.
Having your child tested is actually not a bad idea. It provides information on how gifted the child is. By using the result from testing, you can make sure that the child will get attention required. It will be a great help to develop his or her potential completely. The testing result can also be used as legal document mentioning that the child has been through series of testing to prove his or her quality.
Detecting giftedness signs in school age child is not as easy as it sounds. It is also interesting to mention that giftedness and learning disabled can both happen to the same child. Learning disabled can be detected easily. Unfortunately, parents sometimes do not aware that their child with learning disabled is also gifted at the same time.
Things are getting worse since people often underrated the giftedness signs in school age child. It usually happens when the gifted child is born in the underprivileged society. The child will have no opportunity to develop his or her potential at its fullest. It is the exact opposites of advance society that will consider gifted child will bring change their life into better future.
SEE ALSO: ADHD in Children and How to Treat it Off
What you should do if your child has giftedness signs in school age child? The first thing is contacting psychologist who has expertise on gifted child. It is also important to inform it to the teacher as well. You need to have the teacher observe your child to find out any potential talents that cannot be detected by regular testing.